imcube 3D & VR Research and Development is all about
Quality & Productivity
For over 12 years, the imcube founders and researchers have been involved in the research of image processing topics related to 3D production, post-production and conversion. Today, 10 researchers and software developers work systematically to invent and develop tools and algorithms that are targeted at improving 3D quality, and making production, post-production and conversion processes easier and faster, thereby considerably reducing time and manual labour. As a result, the costs of all these processes have decreased, while their quality has simultaneously improved.
As a result of these research and development efforts, the features that have been implemented into the imcube conversion services include:
imcube 3D Cinema and imcube 3D Home are software frameworks designed only for 2D-to-3D conversion. The operation of the GUI (Graphical User-Interface) is intuitive and straightforward. Due to the simplified structure and user-friendliness of our softwares, operators and conversion artists do not need extensive training.
Rendering takes place on the graphics card using Cuda Technology. This speeds up the rendering time for the conversion process.
In the imcube software, any change or modification in the depth-grading process directly results in an adjustment of the stereoscopic output. This can be previewed via an additional output window on a 3D display of your choice.
Seamless Cooperation with Other Software
- Import feasibility of Mocha roto shapes, with the ability to manipulate the shapes internally.
- Import feasibility of 3D tracking data from PFTrack and Boujou.
imcube’s software has several unique 2D-to-3D features:
- Direct (on the fly) pre-visualization of the stereo output during the depth grading process.
- Colored depth maps or entire OpenGL 3D models for visual feedback, to determine whether objects will be placed in front of, on or behind the screen.
- Highlighting of disoccluded regions (gaps) as visual feedback for the conversion artist.
- User-friendly tools for the effective and realistic depth-assignment of objects (object-shaping).
- Easy and intuitive depth-budget adjustment for different screen-size adjustment.
- High-precision forward pixel transformation with high-quality interpolation capability during the depth image-based rendering processes. This is the forward warping technique that guarantees better quality than any other conversion system available.
- Algorithm-driven inpainting solutions based on highly advanced computer vision technology.
- High quality automatic conversion using structure-from-motion techniques for image sequences with certain camera movements.
Quality Control Tweaking Feature
After the initial conversion process has been carried out by the conversion artists, the stereographer or director may wish to tweak the depth of a shot, or adjust some single elements such as depth-cues within the shot. Using nearly every other software, the entire shot has to be returned to the operator’s workstation for the layers to be separated out and reverted to their original state, and the depth reworked. With imcube, this depth-assignment fine-tuning can be done in real time during the approval phase. This cuts an enormous amount of time and ensures superior quality control, essentially adding copious creative flexibility to a highly complex process.